Home › Forums › Chicago Blackhawks › 2026 Draft Thoughts, opinions & what gets traded for immediate high end help
- This topic has 208 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 19 hours, 33 minutes ago by
BetweenTheDots.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
-
AuthorPosts
-
July 22, 2026 at 12:37 pm #78231
Breagbag
ParticipantYou know Wiz this is why i like KD, he’s willing to overpay to move up and get his guy, because once your guy is gone he’s gone.
I guess he did the same thing when it came to Byram, but I’m kind of seeing that move as a younger version of Brian Campbell.
This contract is definitely one paying for future performances, the first thing i said was this was an awful trade if they can’t extend him. Now this may be one of the worst contracts, we’ll see.
But I’m going to play a game of would i rather
Would i rather trade for Byram 25 and pay him 12.5 per, or trade for 30 year old Raddysh and pay him 8 yrs at 8.5 per.
Would i rather trade for Byram 25 and pay him 12.5 per, or trade for Nurse and sign Trouba.
Again didn’t like what we gave up and paid him but he’s a way better option than the other 2 moves.
I like the thought process behind the move. It’s true that Byram is a better long term move than Raddysh/Nurse/Trouba, who have all have their best hockey behind them already.
We might see 55+ point per year from Byram as the #1 guy getting prime PP minutes, likely to be playing ~double the time with the man advantage and with the top unit instead of being with unit 2. The Hawks used Levshunov, Rinzel, Grzelcyk on the powerplay but none of them were that effective, which is why they ended the year with a 5 forward PP unit for PP1. Love him or hate him, there has just been such a gap for an offensive minded D since they moved Jones. Of course moving Jones helped us get a young long term option in goal, which is outstanding, now we got a younger long term option for offensive minded D.
Buffalo wanted to keep Byram, but the realized he wants a bigger role/$$$ and that wasn’t going to happen for them just because of the depth they have. This to me, was like when the Hawks were cap crunched in that 10-13 time and we sent talent off to play bigger roles on other teams.
KD is starting to take more risks to move things along, and the Byram deal is definitely a risk. He might not live up to the contract, and maybe he is an 8-10 million dollar D in today’s cap, but they had to bring in something. The Hawks fans and beat writers beat the drum of bringing in a top flight winger, which sure, would be nice, but the hole on D was arguably bigger until some of the young guys actually take that step. The forward group will improve their offensive production when they have a D who can actually read the play offensively, join the rush effectively and make skilled plays to generate offense.
We have our goalie, we are closer on D and dare I say really starting to have depth at C. Frondell, Bedard, Nazar can all play in the top 6 at C. Moore has the ability to slot in kind of middle 6 C, but possibly stays winger. Greene can play 3C, We have a bunch of bottom 6C options, Boisvert, Donato, Greeenway can play 4C is needed, Toninato can be a depth/4C option. I think we have the easier spots to fill now, on the wing and there are some real interesting pieces either here or coming.
July 18, 2026 at 12:30 pm #78046BetweenTheDots
ParticipantYou know Wiz this is why i like KD, he’s willing to overpay to move up and get his guy, because once your guy is gone he’s gone.
I guess he did the same thing when it came to Byram, but I’m kind of seeing that move as a younger version of Brian Campbell.
This contract is definitely one paying for future performances, the first thing i said was this was an awful trade if they can’t extend him. Now this may be one of the worst contracts, we’ll see.
But I’m going to play a game of would i rather
Would i rather trade for Byram 25 and pay him 12.5 per, or trade for 30 year old Raddysh and pay him 8 yrs at 8.5 per.
Would i rather trade for Byram 25 and pay him 12.5 per, or trade for Nurse and sign Trouba.
Again didn’t like what we gave up and paid him but he’s a way better option than the other 2 moves.
July 18, 2026 at 12:12 pm #78045Haru
ParticipantI saw the one clip of Roobroeck skating at the top of the circle with a slight pull-drag wrister of BB. Man, that was quite a shot, reminding me of Matthews. Of course, it was only one clip, and I don’t know if he is consistent with that release, but if he is, I like what I see.
July 18, 2026 at 12:48 am #78026TheREALWiz
ParticipantOh, and I happened on the Kyle Presser that is sandwiched near all the player prospect vids of “how’s camp on YouTubeHAWKTV.
After he decided after the first Draft Day ended, that he wanted to secure that original. NYRanger pick @33 could have been looked like as ballsy trust the Hawk Scouting board and deciding he wasn’t going to get to #37 with the Flames being the team that they felt would have picked Ryan Roobroeck of C. Chase Harrington?
That Chase Harrison was clearly as a step below how Ryan Roobroeck will turn out long term.So Kyle from Chicago after leap frogging over Calgary, has two kids that would love to play there in Nathan Behn and Ryan Roobroeck,
Kyle admitted that impluse love for M. West is what had him overpay to get back in that 1st Rd.before he was gone, and that was and over pay that is starting to see some dividends in Mason’s continuing committment & improvement. Kyle wasn’t apologetic for 32/33 twinn selections, but that he will be more careful to make emotional overpays with regularity.
Any way, thought it was amusing…
July 18, 2026 at 12:15 am #78025TheREALWiz
ParticipantI was thinking I posted Casey Mutryn was more what I wanted done with the #34 , projecting Casey as the Blackhawk’s
second overall pick, #37 at the time.His heart is to play East
Just like Nathan Behn like his home town, Calgary.A lot of Flames’ draftees seemed players I didn’t think they would attempt to “marry-up” with.
So, I am saying there might be a future discussion if Nathan’s the odd-man out of the pro-lineup in the next ___.
July 17, 2026 at 6:26 pm #78012TheREALWiz
ParticipantAlot of attcaking defensemen PREFER playing their off side simply b/c the stick is closer to more net; Byram was the rd that steadioed the first overall pick LD Power.
Bo dished him lots of pucks where he had chances.
Where does BB line up on the Power play? Either side.
Regular pairing match up. might copme with his partner being the best way BOTH can enhance two play and add attack.
Yeah, I don’t think it is much of an issue.
Hell when I was kid, and RD were rare, most the right side was played by left shooters.
Doug Barkley and a few opthers were RD, but not enough to grab NHL spots over the LD’s around at the time.
July 17, 2026 at 2:30 pm #78005Breagbag
ParticipantI think of it in terms of a golf swing. All the players can shoot the puck, but there are a lot of mechanics to how to do it well. I think it was a simple numbers game of helping him be more effective with his shot. You’ve got the top goal scoring D-men in the league scoring on 8-12% of their shots while Lev clocked in at 2.4% with a lot of missed chances and posts. So I think just a focus on helping him get the shot on net more (unblocked) without taking more time or losing velocity. I think they partially focused on his foot positioning. I know the other focus with him has been his puck management, keeping things a little more simple and less risky plays.
Regarding Byram, I get that he did well playing on his offside, but that was on a Buffalo roster where he was behind other guys in the pecking order. Chicago signed brought him in and signed him to be the guy on their blueline. It’s not that they think he is a complimentary piece to fit into a gap, he is the piece they want to build the blueline around. I’m not saying he can’t play his offside, but I think it will be more so where he is comfortable with the Hawks slotting guys around him.
July 17, 2026 at 11:07 am #77993BetweenTheDots
ParticipantAccording to the video, Byram was at his best playing his off side with either Dahlen or Power? So it’ll be interesting to see where he plays but the good news is he can play either side and that’s probably why they were okay with Crevier being part of the trade.
I’m also curious to see what happens to Arty, the one thing i keep hearing is how strong he is on his skates. I can’t believe they were working on his shot during the hockey year, that’s some weird shit. How does he not know how to shoot the puck?
July 16, 2026 at 12:57 pm #77923Breagbag
ParticipantJust to add, why would they send Levshunov down?
1) Roster Management – Give the non-exempt guys like Korchinski/Del Mastro a go before you trade or potentially give them away for nothing (waivers)
2) Development – Lev showed he wasn’t ready with arguably the worst defensive season we’ve seen from a high expectation rookie D on the Hawks in several years. He has the tools, but they got to straighten out the holes in his game a little more.
3) If the expectation is to win more games, that might be more attainable with Lev getting his reps in the AHL to start. He does some things well, but Byram gave the Hawks a guy for the PP1 unit. The reason to have Lev up and learning on the job got weaker and his defensively lapses (especially when playing in too many situations with Kaiser) doesn’t help the team win.July 16, 2026 at 12:46 pm #77921Breagbag
ParticipantI was watching a video about Bowen Byram and I’m guessing he’s going to be paired with Vlasic a lot. The worst statistic that Byram has is puck retrieval in his own zone, but guess who has one of the best in the league, yes that would be Vlasic.
One of the things that confuses me, i think i read in Ellis scouting report, Nick Lardis poor skating????, i think many of them are getting older and confused. Lardis is an exceptional skater and he’s strong for his size i remember him fore checking and he hammered someone and it was fricking impressive,
Nice thing about drafting kids with a good work ethic, the only thing that will keep them from being NHL players is their talent level. Boisvert putting on 15lbs of muscle. I remember Frondell being criticized for his endurance and he ended scoring the best on the endurance test at the combine.
So if you draft kids with a good work ethic that means to me as these kids gain more experience and feel like they belong like Greene and Moore the team defense will only get better and better because it will be like watching a team of Brandon Hagels.
I could be wrong but I don’t know if we will see Byram and Vlasic together much at all. I just don’t think they made Byram the highest paid D to play him on his off side. I see Byram playing LD paired with one of the RD or someone else they want to give offensive zone starts to primarily. The Hawks know Byram isn’t the strongest in his own end, so just can’t see them putting him out there with their shutdown guy when they want said shutdown guy taking the defensive load. To me, Ian Cole is more likely to be playing with Vlasic, essentially the Crevier replacement to take the Dzone starts.
I’m also going to throw it out there that I would not be shocked (barring any trades) if the Hawks leverage the waiver exempt status of Levshunov and start him in Rockford, until someone is traded or injured. Cole, Kaiser, Del Mastro can all play RD. Of course things can change if any of the young D take a big steps and show up in camp with huge improvement. All these guys aged 20-23 could at any time take another leap. Of course things could change with Del Mastro rumored to maybe be on the trade block.
-
AuthorPosts