Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
SeaDog21
ParticipantThe Vancouver Canucks have sent a 2025 4th round draft pick to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for forward Evander Kane. Kane’s contract has 1 year remaining at $5,125,000. It also includes a 16 team no trade list and a full NMC. Kane missed all of last regular season recovering from surgery but returned to score 6 goals and add 6 assists in 21 playoff games, while adding 44 PIM. Over his career, Kane has amassed 326 goals and 1186 PIM in 930 games during the regular season with similar returns in 97 playoff games ( 32G 55 PTS 248 PIM ) . It makes you wonder why a player of his calibre was even available, until you remember it’s Evander Kane.
Kane is a Vancouver native, drafted 4th overall by Atlanta (Jets) after a junior career with the Vancouver Giants back in 2009. He would have been a perfect fit back then but today it is less than so. Kane is entering his age 34 season, and in my opinion has already noticeably declined. Furthermore, Kane has a history of locker room troubles most notably in Winnipeg involving team captain Dustin Byfuglien, a track suit and a team dress code. Again, why is he available? The Oilers have reached back to back Stanley Cup finals with him in their lineup. Could it be more locker room issues?
Despite the negatives, Kane can still provide a physical presence and score some timely goals which are both attributes the Canucks require. If the Canucks are trending towards the playoffs, his experience should help a relatively young group of forwards. Despite the NMC, there are still possibilities to trade Kane towards the deadline and recover or improve upon the 4th round pick should the Kane reunion not work out. If things go really south, it’s a 4th round draft pick and $5M of cap space for the season only.
There really isn’t that much risk involved, and the team’s 2025-2026 fortunes rely much more on Pettersson’s ability to rediscover his game. Maybe having someone like Kane riding shotgun on his wing will open up the ice for him a little. The Canucks appear to be an active team as we approach the draft and free agency as they try to quickly recover from an awful season, and I fully expect the front office to be aggressive over the next week as they reshape the roster.
There must be a bigger thought process by Allvin on this one, maybe he thinks he can increase his investment at TDL, a 4th really isn’t that much. I hope you are right about being aggressive because this team needs it.
SeaDog21
ParticipantHe’s only had one season as a head coach, at any level, I’d like to see him get more experience before someone takes a chance on him. I know he was an assistant for seven or so years in the NHL, but that’s not the same as being a head coach.
Ya, I am not sure why fans always think players and in this case a coach, should be rushed up to the nhl.
He shouldn’t, so many hockey sites are claiming Maholtra should have been chosen over Foote, another year as a head coach should certainly help his resume to becoming an NHL head coach.
SeaDog21
ParticipantYou would do a fine job at it, between yourself, golfing and that York Newbury fella, the blogs would have a nice variety of opinions/content
???? anyone but you or I eh Bob.
SeaDog21
ParticipantThat guy sucks, not him.
I didn’t mind his work. It was at least current, until the downfall at that site got worse.
????Yeah, personally I have always been fond of NYN, probably because he stepped up after several unanswered attempts to keep Canucks content alive.
SeaDog21
ParticipantGood job Golfing! Have you ever thought about writing Canucks blogs? ????
That pick is as good as gone IMO.
Awesome to see post as NYN, Yorkie.
SeaDog21
ParticipantYeah, I don’t exactly get it. Unless it’s part of a bigger move. Which is quite possible with the way this group deals. Still, why throw the Oilers a life line?
I really don’t like the guy, but he does add an element the Canucks badly need. I just hope he’s not a locker room cancer. Bob Stauffer out of Edmonton said he talked to the Oiler players and no one really had an issue with Kane, but he’s just a classless individual. Not shaking hands with Florida when they won the cup just shows who he is as an individual. He’s also in the last year of a contract, which bodes well for the Canucks.
I am also really disappointed, I agree with loaded that this is part of a bigger picture with this management group, but this particular player is an ass.
I am scratching my head at some of Alvin’s moves lately, and if that Barzal/Dobson for Pettersson/Hronek becomes true I will be at a loss as to the direction of the club.
SeaDog21
ParticipantI haven’t been following the draft like some of you guys, but Desnoyers is projected to go at 5th, that would entail a trade with Nashville for a prospect and 15th. What are the thoughts on Malcolm Spence, bleacher report has him at 15?
SeaDog21
ParticipantI told you we love you brother and you submitted a solid post. I personally am concerned that the team may take another step back, and it’s a valid concern. But I also see a talented core that could be the foundation of something to build upon. Boeser at an 8 cap hit isn’t going the answer, and that has me wondering where and who can be the supporting cast to help the offence move forward. And then there is a new 1st time coach and how all that plays out. Interesting season ahead and I can only hope for the best.
SeaDog21
ParticipantThere are always differing of opinions on the best course of action management should take. I believe that all options should be considered, when they used the 1st for Hronek was smart. When they used it for Lindstrom it was wasted in my opinion on both trades.
The club can acquire depth through trades as well such as Mancini, who is an excellent prospect.I’m not disagreeing just making a point that all options should be explored.
SeaDog21
ParticipantYes sad to see Tocchet go but hockey is an evolving sport, coaches and players both move on and life continues. Canucks have arguably the second best defenceman in the league and I personally think Pettersson will return to the 100pt player he has been in the past
-
AuthorPosts