Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Freakshow
ParticipantThe only reason most of us are here is to bask in the glory of your intellect. Tell me more about how stupid I am. No more than 2 syllable words though. I get headaches from reading too many smart words. Makes my thinker hurt.
How bout dem DBacks baby!!
Freakshow
ParticipantWhat a bunch of rubbish. Pens, Av’s, Islanders all had/have quality 1C’s, which helped them win cups. You build from the goal out but you still need good centers. You don’t know FA about winning because you’re a Canucks fan. Some things never change, but keep on dreaming pal!
Lafontaine and Trottier weren’t too shabby if I do say so myself lol. Detroit has been pretty good at finding star centers as well, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. – you don’t need elite goaltending when you’ve got a lot of run support. But, it’s hard to compare eras because so much has changed over the years. The Red Wings were on a different level when it came to scouting back in the day, and it paid dividends for them. The world is a smaller place now, though, everybody knows kids globally from a very early age now. Plus, you have the salary cap, it’s much more difficult to build through trades, but it can still be done.
Freakshow
ParticipantFair enough, there was also Trevor Linden who put up good numbers back in the day before Keenan & Messier ran him out of town. So that gives you a total of two 1C’s developed by Vancouver in 50+ years, not good enough. Hopefully CM & Cootes excel in the new system, they both seem to have good character.
Yeah, it’s been really dismal regarding getting a star first line center, however, they haven’t really put themselves in a position to do that because they won’t bottom out AND they draft so poorly. You can win a Cup many ways but historically speaking, teams who build through the middle of the ice win…a lot!
Freakshow
ParticipantHistory tell us the Canucks can’t draft/develop a 1C. Wait and poach Celebrini ond/or Bedard in 5 years.
I just don’t think it’s that simplistic, also, they drafted Henrik Sedin. Whether people like him or not, he was a #1 center. Do you know how many times the Canucks have drafted top three in the entry draft? NINE times in 56 seasons, and four of those were in their first four seasons. So, since 1974 they’ve drafted five times in the top three of the first round, there’s a reason they’ve never won the Stanley Cup, it’s because across multiple ownership and management groups they refuse to rebuild a championship team through the draft.
Between 2003 and 2006, four drafts, the Penguins had four top three picks and they won three Stanley Cups because of it. Sure they got lucky in 2005 but their last place finish in 2004 gave them the best odds to win the 2005 draft and take Crosby. San Jose just had three drafts in the top two, Celebrini, Misa & Stenberg, they also took Will Smith 4th overall in 2023. Again, luck was involved but so was being bad as a team. Until the Canucks embrace being bad and catch some luck, nothing is going to change.
Freakshow
ParticipantWe are in the era of assets accumulation never can have enough. Habs are a great team to copy. SJ has some scary good draftees.
Team identity wise I like the Canes & Habs. Size wise VGK & TB & Washington. Speed & heart & top mgmt building the culture. Abby be the proving grounds & beginning for prospects to hit the NHL at full speed. MM installing systems. Players in top condition & strength going through walls for each other.
Yes, the Canucks are in the early, very early, stages of asset accumulation, there’s probably three more years of drafting before they start to see some cumulative results. The worst thing they could ever do is deviate from the program/path they’re on. If it happens organically, fine, but don’t push it. Malhotra looks to be a fine second line center guy with his skill-set, Cootes is more of a Mike Peca third line guy for me, and that’s perfectly fine, but they still need a superstar center if they plan on winning a Stanley Cup sometime in the future.
Freakshow
ParticipantShould have drafted Lawrence.
I know there’s not much to talk about, but, Canucks fans are so fickle. I guess losing for half a century will do that to you. Olli Juolevi had a strong 2016 World Junior Championship where he tied for the tournament lead in assists among defensemen and won gold with Finland. That small windowed performance boosted his stock, and lead to the Vancouver Canucks to select him fifth overall based on their need for a high-end puck-moving defenseman. We all know how that story ended up. These kids just turned 18 years old, they’re all good young players but they need time to grow and develop, patience.
Freakshow
ParticipantNobody doubts his skill level he certainly can achieve 80 points. Like Henrick Sedin said EP needs to decide what kind of player he is. He doesn’t appear to be a team first player. Does an introvert fit well with this new young core? Do you think he’s respected and liked by his teammates?
WTF is with the GIANT emoji face??? 🙂
The kid is a weirdo, that’s for sure, I hope he starts hot and they trade his ass anywhere….that’s what I think.
Freakshow
ParticipantPetey’s gonna score 80+ points this year and then everyone and their brother is going to be confused. 🙂
Freakshow
ParticipantI can’t begin to tell you how much I dislike EP11.6 but I don’t see a hurry for trading him at his lowest point. I think in two years his salary will be acceptable league wide and have more value. It also takes the pressure off Cootes and Malhotra to hurry up the process. I hate the selfish prick but I can ignore him for two years. I do like Hronek but again wait until his NMC expires and you can have a list of 17 teams that he can be traded to while protecting the young guys this year and next.
I understand EP40 is a great shot blocker!
LOL.
He also took 1,353 total face-off draws, which ranked him 20th overall in the NHL. That’s an issue for the team, they need a healthy Rossi.
Freakshow
ParticipantI can’t begin to tell you how much I dislike EP11.6 but I don’t see a hurry for trading him at his lowest point. I think in two years his salary will be acceptable league wide and have more value. It also takes the pressure off Cootes and Malhotra to hurry up the process. I hate the selfish prick but I can ignore him for two years. I do like Hronek but again wait until his NMC expires and you can have a list of 17 teams that he can be traded to while protecting the young guys this year and next.
You can’t ignore anything for two years, who are you kidding, haha. But I do agree with you in that his salary will be second line center money after next season and he buys time for kids to develop.
-
AuthorPosts