Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Flyers Focus: Arbitration and More #77781
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    The cap inflation is everywhere, not just because of the Carlsson offer sheet. That said, the OS is definitely a factor across the league. They made a first-time RFA the highest-paid player in the NHL (for now).

    in reply to: Flyers Focus: Jiricek, Michkov and More #77780
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    Good post. I think you raised good points. In terms of accelerating the rebuild, they view it as going for that if there’s a specific fit (skill set, age, etc) and otherwise preaching more patience. Whether that’s the right approach or not, we will see. But that’s how Briere views it.

    What does the failed pursuit of Carlsson reveal about the organization’s mindset? Can the Flyers realistically accelerate their rebuild, or is patience still the best path forward?

    Briere just took all the cap increase, $10M, all the dead cap that went away this year, $7M and change, rounded up to the next million and threw it at LC to solve the 1C issue for half a decade. Shows they will do that in a unique situation which likely won’t repeat . . . including hopefully ever having $7M+ in dead cap space.

    Twenty-two year old defensman David Jiricek has a golden opportunity in front of him come training camp. The big right-shooting defenseman will receive every opportunity to earn an opening-night roster spot.

    Reirden/Tocchet have shown their system is pretty simple for most any Dman to plug into and play for at least a while. I like their chances of getting the most out of Jiricek.

    There are still on-ice adjustments the Flyers want Michkov to make once he’s back in Voorhees.

    Keeping MM with Cates is the way forward short to mid term. With Cates, MM had 18 points and was a plus 11 in his last 16 games. That ain’t broke so don’t fix it.

    in reply to: Flyers Focus: Agenda, Bonk and More #77647
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    The Flyers will try to keep Zegras under 10M but that may be tough.

    in reply to: Flyers: Carlsson, Next Steps and More #77522
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    I’m not glad it fell through. But it does allow them have liqudity they need.

    in reply to: Flyers and Carlsson: What You Need to Know #77126
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    There is a real cost to a team “retaliating” via a future offer sheet: They would need to offer up a contract for a player that is big enough that the Flyers would, at minimum, consider not matching. No team is going to do that just “for a friend”. Will Anaheim pull something in that regard like the Canes did to the Habs? Possible, but unlikely. The “retaliation” risk here isn’t really offer sheets to future Flyer RFA’s: It’s other GM’s being wary of working with Briere going forward. That’s why, I believe, Carlsson’s agent (almost 100% surely) “leaked” that 3 other teams were prepared to submit offer sheets for Carlsson as well…That gives Briere cover as “if it wasn’t him, it would have been someone else” comes into play.

    I agree totally. I think teams will still worry about themselves first (as they should).

    in reply to: BREAKING: Flyers Offer-Sheet Leo Carlsson #76997
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    Thanks for getting this written so quickly!

    in reply to: Flyers Focus: Toronto pick and more #74535
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    I forgot they are related. Still don’t think it would make sense.

    in reply to: Flyers Focus: Trades, Draft and More #74522
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    It would be interesting but I think he gets moved.

    in reply to: Flyers Focus: Trades, Draft and More #74521
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    I know the source. It’s a legit source. But I don’t see it happening for all the reasons I spelled out.

    in reply to: Flyers: Draft, Worlds, Andrae & More #73696
    Bill Meltzer
    Keymaster

    Chances of trading up/down? Underwhelming draft year.

    Odds are against a trade up. In terms of trading down, that’s always a possibility if there’s someone they are confident they can still get a few picks later.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 415 total)
Scroll to Top