Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 531 through 540 (of 665 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Flyers Off Season Discussion: #14554
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    How so?

    His name comes up a lot, especially when I post possible future line combinations and don’t include him. He seems to have a lot of fans here. I find it amusing, that’s all. He is an admirable guy though, like I said. Playing and being a .5 PPG guy at his size is quite an accomplishment. But I also see a lot of general dumping on the team at the same time I see the same fans jumping to his defense.

    in reply to: Flyers Off Season Discussion: #14537
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    i get that he is likely the odd man out but I do think rose to the occasion under torts. that brink-cates-foerester line was really good for stretches. he showed more tenacity than I initially thought he was capable of.

    He showed some spark and some skill. He’s an admirable player. He’ll likely get quite a few games in this year yet. It just cracks me up that every time I’ve said the Flyers were going to move away from smallish players like him, even before the draft, I always heard his name brought up as if I had just taken a dump on their kid’s birthday cake.

    in reply to: Flyers Off Season Discussion: #14525
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    a guy like Brink probably wouldn’t be too sad to see the flyers miss out on him though.

    Like a higher quality Brink

    Again with the Brink love.

    in reply to: Ivan Provorov Gets Big Contract #14058
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    i think there is another level to his game and I see captain potential. too early to toss him aside in a trade IMO. even mcdavid and ekblad took about a decade to be playing for the cup. not every player is going to have a makar trajectory.

    Then let him do what leaders are doing for other teams. Come in underpriced so your team can grab a couple UFAs to make the team better. He needs to find another gear. He’s not a UFA like Provorov was going to be before he re-upped. The Flyers have some leverage here. I’m seeing he’s asking above $6M. I think he’s asking a lot for what I’ve seen from him. Sanheim I like at $6.75M. I’m obviously a Sanheim fan. My big problem on defense is JD.

    in reply to: Ivan Provorov Gets Big Contract #14024
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    i might be in the minority but i like york and would prioritize holding onto him.

    I guess I like York well enough. Not holding onto him isn’t an option. They just have too many holes. I like him better at 3 or 4D than 2D, which is where he is now. I was not blown away by what I saw from him last year. Sanheim is the straw that stirs the drink in their top pairing. I like Sanheim a boatload more and like Risto and Seeler in their slots better too.

    in reply to: Flyers Off Season Discussion: #13989
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    Problem with that line of thinking is no one is giving a bottom-feeder a home town discount.

    You can get a damn good Dman for $6M even without any discounts.

    in reply to: Ivan Provorov Gets Big Contract #13987
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    When you have no long-term plan, especially when trying to build something, you’re merely kicking the can down the road.

    We will see what they do tomorrow. That will go a long way towards seeing what they see as needed fixes for this season. They still have three awful holes: Goalie, another top 4 Dman, and 4th line center who can win faceoffs in that order of importance. Goalies can come relatively cheap as can 4c’s. They may not be able to get all three. You saw Friday they want to get bigger and tougher to play against without sacrificing talent. They’ve already added a coaching staff that seems more geared towards where they’re at and looking to go. They’ve already added a guy who will fill a hole at center that everyone knows they needed. I see them as identifying obvious needs and filling them efficiently.

    in reply to: Ivan Provorov Gets Big Contract #13977
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    I’m curious as to the long-term plan for your proposed fix.

    Are we talking 1 year deals to fix these couple glaring holes? If so, what sort of player do you think you’ll get on a 1 year, $4.5M (or whatever amount you’re comfortable with) deal? Is it a player that actually fixes said glaring hole, or just another place holder?

    As for the cap increase, are you hoping that Zegras poops the bed? Because if he plays up to the hopes the Flyers have for him, I can’t imagine he’ll take a deal for less than the $6.5M he’s making this year. Is that a scenario that has been planned for, if the Flyers let him walk should he asks for market (assuming he’s what they hope he will be), and if so, what’s the plan for a top 6 center now? And this doesn’t even consider Matvei Michkov, who will be eligible for an extension at the end of next season, and will most likely be getting paid as well (guessing in the neighborhood of that “going away dead space,” if not more).

    What I’m seeing in your post is more kicking the can down the road instead of having a long-term plan for success. And no, I’m not suggesting they become a playoff team this year (or the year after, for that matter), but if you improve the record slightly, you’re in a worse position in the next draft, and you end up repeating the cycle, just as the Flyers have done for over a decade now. Is repeating the same old mistakes acceptable?

    Depends on the guy. Will his leaving after 25-26 create a hole they’ll have to refill again next summer? I don’t think there’s a goalie out there I’d be confident enough in to go beyond 2-3 years. A lot of guys, RFA and UFA have gotten taken off the block through trading and resigning. I’d go 4-5 years on either the right Dman or goalie but I’m not sure either of those guys is available. I was a little off on my dead space number. It’s $6-7M. So basically, if Zegras delivers in 25-26, you can reup him with what is dead money this year and have what his current cap hit is, which is $5.75M, to do other things. Think about that. How is that an issue? The Flyers have cap money to play with this year and I’ll start thinking more deeply about next off season if and when they fall out of playoff contention. When you’re building, starting with the foundation, then doing the framing and so on isn’t kicking the can down the road. It’s how that happens.

    https://puckpedia.com/team/philadelphia-flyers

    in reply to: Ivan Provorov Gets Big Contract #13932
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    The Flyers don’t have the cap space for that deal. They do have the space to fill a couple glaring holes, roughly $9M. You can get a couple $4.5M guys for that. $7-8M in dead space goes away in 26 plus the cap increase, they could be bigger game hunters next July 1.

    in reply to: Flyers Off Season Discussion: #13811
    FlyerFrank
    Participant

    Ekblad sign in Florida for 8 years at $6.1 aav.

    Super home town discount. At $6.1M for a really solid Dman, the Flyers could still add a $2.5M goalie, fill their two biggest holes and look very interesting going into this season.

Viewing 10 posts - 531 through 540 (of 665 total)
Scroll to Top