Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
FlyerFrank
ParticipantI don’t think it’s far-fetched that Grebenkin could develop into a Ruslan Fedotenko type. That wouldn’t be too bad at all. Myrtetus made the comparison on Flyers Daily. And Fedotenko started out in the ECHL.
Fedotenko is an interesting comp and I remember him well. He was a very admirable player and got himself 2 cups. It would be great if something like that pans out. Grebenkin has more high end experience that some might think. He was a strong contributor, 2nd in scoring, for Magnitogorsk when they won the KHL title in 2024 and kept that going into the playoffs. In the right spot, I think Grebenkin can have some .5 PPG years and be a mixer out there.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantGrebenkin will get plenty of games, there will be injuries in season. Had a decent rookie year for a depth winger, 0.25 PPG. Hit people, got into a couple scraps backing teammates. Rooting for him.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantHow do the Flyers get better on the power play and moving the puck out of the D zone. Without that, this is still a bubble team. Hate to say it but true.
I think just natural progression and more continuity will be enough this year to see more improvement. I think you’re overestimating the rest of the conference. I think the Flyers will be solidly near the top of the conference.
FlyerFrank
Participant34.1% is not good on faceoffs for our projected top line Center.
Zegras isn’t a true 1C but he can be a 2C if the Flyers find another way to come up with a No. 1.
34.1% is terrible at faceoffs but the power play is also an issue and he’s not the 1C there, he plays the point and I really like him there anyway. The problem there is our best faceoff guys just aren’t producing enough goals on the power play. That’s why that “1C” that they get has to be at a good faceoff guy and noticeably more productive than Dvorak. Otherwise, there’s no point in doing a deal. I’ve also seen Larkin described as not being a 1C. I think he is. 0.944 PPG and 54% on faceoffs over his last 5 years plus DET has had a good PP at least the last couple years. He’s a good example of who would be a good fit here. I don’t really care how they get there, but 270-275 goals is a reasonable team goal which would likely be 8th or so in the league. I think they can get there as is.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantThey got Drysdale at an estimated cap average of a hair over 5.5% for four years for a top 4 Dman with upside. Flyers have quite a few really good contracts.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantWhat do you think about Fridge’s statement that he thinks McDavid will consider Philly when he hits UFA?
That’s been out there before. I forget the original source, one of the Canadian “insiders” I think. Interesting if true. Werenski is up in 2 years too.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantEven with the cap inflation, Zegras got a very good deal for himself. He wasn’t going to get the Aho deal, but he got more than 9 million and will still be in his prime when he’s a UFA. GOod deal for both sides.
Oh yeah, Zegras wants to be here and signed so it’s a good deal for both sides. The Flyers, in no way, overpaid. 7.5% of the cap is what Zegras has already proved to be in my view. I think there should be more debate over what it should take to be a 10% of the cap guy, as just one example. How much is a solid Top 4 Dman worth? More than 5%, that’s for sure. Now a 10% guy can be paired up with an ELC guy and hopefully you’ve got one of your best players and your best young player at maybe 11%. That can look great so long as you don’t have too many guys at 10%. Shorter term deals are clearly the way forward for a while. Not that many top guys were going UFA anyway so what’s the big deal?
FlyerFrank
ParticipantI think the Zegras side left some money on the table. He got paid four years out for the player he is right now, not the player with some upside I think he is. I don’t have a problem with a prove it deal based on past performance but the term is a year too long. A lot of guys are getting paid on potential and not results.
FlyerFrank
ParticipantZegras can still improve. I think Cates can play at current level for some years to come. I think Dvorak may produce less.
Still think Zegras has some .9+ PPG seasons in him. He has production upside. Leave Cates with Michkov. Classic late bloomer after 4 years of college. Dvorak might produce more if he stays with Konecny and Martone.
“BREAKING: We have signed forward Trevor Zegras to a four-year contract extension worth an average annual value (AAV) of $9.125 million.”
Nice team and player friendly deal.
FlyerFrank
Participantwe will have to work around the lack of a 1c through depth. The Carlsson situation hammered that home.
No problem. Zegras, Dvorak and Cates are all coming off career years and there’s upside there.
-
AuthorPosts